Finally the college football season started.
Week one is in the books and here are my Bald-Guy-Approved Top-10 notes:
10. Louisville beat Murray State 73-10
A typical case of a strong team slaughtering a smaller college on opening week. But did they ran up the score? No, I wouldn't say that. The play-by-play of the 4th quarter says run-run-run. (Week two-note: Yesterday the Cards again scored 50+ points but they needed everyone of them, as they survived Middle Tennessee 58-42.)
9. Air Force beat South Carolina State 34-3
"After the game I feel 100 percent" this is what Shaun Carney said about the new Falcons offense. Well, I don't. Yeah, Air Force won (against a 1-AA-team!) and they completed a lot of passes, but I loved Fisher DeBerry's triple-option-attack and I still think, that the option is the perfect fit for the service acadamy teams!
8. Florida beat Western Kentucky 49-3
I still can hear the voice telling me in January: "The Gators got no chances to repeat, because Tebow can't throw!". 'Cuse me, Tim Tebow is recruited by Urban Meyer, the man who made Alex Smih a No. 1 draft choice! Tim Tebow is the man for Meyer's offense. 300 yards passing is just the beginning!
7. West Virginia beat Western Michigan 62-24
Ranked at Number 3, the Mountaineers are on the rise. I hope in january the last bowl game of the season is West Virginia against Florida. Steve Slaton and Patrick White those guys played fantastic. I'll root for WV all season long that is for sure!
6. Georgia Tech beat Notre Dame 33-3
Year One after Brady Quinn. The Yellow Jackets ran over the Fighting Irish. Tashard Choice rushed for 196 yards, 7.5 yards per carry. I didn't know that Brady Quinn also played on defense. Speaking of running game: Notre Dame rushed for -8 yards. I neither did know that Brady Quinn played running back as well.
5. Arkansas beat Troy 46-26
And once again they found a horse to beat down Troy. Darren McFadden rushed for 151 yards, nothing special, and he passes for 42 yards and a touchdown ... yeah nothing special, too. I love the so called "Wildcats" formation of the Razorbacks. Everyone in the stadium knows what's coming ... and still McFadden makes the play! Oh before I forget: McFadden can catch, too. I won't wonder if he starts kicking some 50-yards-fieldgoals, he can do anything. Who said "Heisman"? Who? I'm pretty sure I heard something!
4. Appalachian State beat Michigan 34-32
The story of week 1, you probably heard everything already about this one. But I got one more point: Appalachian State Quarterback Armanti Edwards was the second freshman in Divison 1 history to pass for 2000 yards and rush for 1000 yards in 2006. If he keeps up with that kind of stats, maybe some NFL teams will spent a first round choice on a 1-AA quarterback in two years.
3. Navy beat Temple 30-19
The last triple-option-attack ran over Temple like a elephant stampede. 361 yards with 6.4 yards per carry. I'm glad that Navy remains as the last upholder of the Option Football Legacy in the 1-A. Adam Ballard and Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada rushed for 3 TDs and 180 yards. Go option football! Go Navy!
2. Hawaii beat Northern Colorado 63-6
"6 passing touchdowns, that's a performance and a half!" says my favorite Playstation 2 football game, if you can toss the ball over goalline 6 times. Colt Brennan is a passing monster, that is for sure. 6 passing touchdowns and 416 yards, that is amazing! Do I hear "Heisman" again?
1. Saint John's beat Marietta 55-14
The first active head coach to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame strikes again. John Gagliardi picks up his 444th victory. The Johnnies are the winningest football program in NCAA Division III history with a 538-219-24 record in 97 Seasons. John Gagliardi is in his 59th season at Saint John's and he won't stop. Keep an eye on SJU Football and cheer with me when Coach Gagliardi reaches win number 450.
Friday, September 7, 2007
The College Football season so far...
Posted by
SchanzerX
at
8:51 AM
Labels: college football, football




